Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Swimming fun

So, I am not a fast swimmer. At all. And I have decided that’s OK because I’m finally to the point where I’m actually ENJOYING swimming. Isn’t that the goal? And I think I’m finally enjoying it because I’ve been doing most of my swimming in the lake lately. I HATE swimming in a pool. I absolutely despise it. I feel like one of those plastic ducks in that carnival game when I’m in the pool. Swim down, swim back, swim down, swim back, swim down, swim back. Bleh. But I absolutely love swimming in the lake. I feel like THAT is how a person was meant to swim. Not in a concrete aquarium, fenced in by two plastic lane markers, following a stupid black line, but out in an actual body of water. Yeah, there aren’t any lakes around here where I can just jump in and go swim wherever I want to, I have to stay in a roped off area, but it is still fun.

Last night I swam out at Longview and had a blast. It was SO choppy, I don’t know if it was that windy, or there were a bunch of boats, or what. But it was fun! I remember Courtney saying “you need to swim OVER the water”, and last night that was about the only thing I could do. I was forced to really reach up and swim over the water. Because if I didn’t, I was just dragging my hands through the waves. And whenever I would look up to sight, I’d get slapped in the face with a wave and take in a mouth full of water. So it made me really work to find a way to get through that chop. Which is good for me, because that’s how it’s going to be at Florida. Except it’s going to sting a little more when I get slapped in the face with a slat water wave. Oh yeah, and I don’t have to worry about jellyfish in a lake :)

1 comment:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

I'm jealous! I want a lake to swim in. Pools drive me crazy.

Congratulations on finding a love for swimming. Speed will be just around the bend. At least that's what I hear. :)