Monday, April 30, 2007

I love my bike!!

Yesterday morning I did the Trolley Run, then took a nap before taking my bike out for it's first ride. I was really nervous about riding it, and now I have no idea why. I guess I was afraid that I wouldnt be able to figure out how to shift and break. There was nothing to be afraid of! I had no idea that it could be so much fun to be on a bike, and I had no idea how much difference a well made bike makes. I first took it out to South Creek Office Park to ride it around on the internal roads and empty parking lots. It took me about 2 loops around a parking lot to get the hang of shifting and breaking, and then I spent about half an hour riding it back and forth on the main road that goes through the complex. I had also been worried about only having 2 chain rings on the front, since I typically rode in the middle ring on my old bike and I made frequent use of the granny ring on hills. I'll admit, I dont understand gearing and the numbers that go along with it. 53-11? WTH does that mean? It means nothing to me. All I know is that I was cruising along a flat road, on the big ring, going 23 mph+ and had no problems. Me, Julie the slow poke! Being aero was more fun than I ever thought it could be, and shifting was a breeze. I was even taking corners at about 20 mph in my aero bars....I've never been able to do that before! This bike just handles so well. And maybe part of it was mental too, I'm sure it was. I had so much fun out there that I decided to take my bike down to Heritage Park and ride the bike course. That was even more fun! The portion of the course on Pflumm is a little hilly, and I rode the hills sitting up. I'm still a little shaky reaching up to shift while I'm sitting up, but that will come with practice. The portion inside the park is pretty much all downhill and I just FLEW! Everything about this bike is so smooth, I cant believe what a difference it makes. And the rear cog makes that cool "ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch" sound when I'm walking my bike around. Its the little things :) Definitely the best money I've spent in a long time!

No comments: