Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Crisis averted?

So, the weather on Saturday was cold and sleeting, so I decided to skip the Runners Edge and run on Sunday since it was supposed to be sunny and in the 60’s. The joys of living in Kansas! I only had 10 miles to do, which isn’t a big deal to do on my own. I stretched out my IT bands really well with the foam roller and set out on my run. I was feeling really good, no knee or hip pain, the “heat” wasn’t bothering me, it was just a comfortable run. Then about half-way into it, my right foot started hurting suddenly. I didn’t do anything to cause it, so I figured maybe it was just cramping up and I stopped to stretch it. The pain was on the outside of my foot, kind of below and in front of the knobby ankle bone. I was able to run another mile or so before it just go too painful and I had to walk. Every time I put pressure on my foot, it shot pain through my whole foot and up my ankle. Not good! So I hobbled back home and iced it right away. I was so frustrated! I had gotten the blister problem under control, I had the IT band issue under control, and now this. It hurt for the rest of the day, and was still pretty painful on Monday. I did some reading on the internet, and I’m about 95% certain that it’s a stress fracture. Since there is really nothing to be done for that except ice and rest, I decided to do that for the rest of the week, and if it’s still bothering me next week I’ll go to the doctor then. It was feeling a lot better yesterday, and today there is no pain. I’m continuing to ice it every night, and no running or riding all week. Saturday I have a 12 mile run planned, so we’ll see how it does then. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be fine!!
I’m confident that I am wearing the right shoes, I had the guys at Garry Gribbles fit me and they feel good. So I don’t think that is the issue. I guess all this pounding on the pavement can’t be good for your feet regardless, so I’m sure that’s the cause. Let’s hope this doesn’t happen during my IM training! I feel OK taking a week of right now because my running base is there, and I’m in my taper anyway.

No comments: