Thursday, October 25, 2007

My name is Julie, and I'm a painaholic!

The other day, I had a business lunch and ran into some of my former co-workers. I didn’t have much of a chance to stay around and chat with people, so later in the afternoon one of them sent me an email asking how things have been going, yada, yada, yada. I responded back that I’m doing an Ironman next weekend, and his response made me laugh:

“Ironman Florida?! Damn, are you into pain? Like getting kicked in the head while your swimming in shark infested waters? On TV?”

So I got to thinking. Yes, the race is going to hurt, and it’s going to hurt bad. Am I scared about the pain? Nope! On the contrary, I’m rather looking forward to it. Maybe it’s my sadistic side, but sometimes pain is good. Swim 2.4 miles, ride 112, then run a marathon. Bring it on, baby! I can take it! I’m going to get to my pain threshold, pass it, and keep going. When I think my toes are about to fall off, I’ll keep going. When my hips hurt so bad that I’m about 99.99% certain I’ll be crippled after the race, I will keep going. When I start crying because I want to lay down so badly, I’ll keep going. I can handle some pain. I’ve got the bloody shoe to prove it!

Speaking of my bloody shoe, I’ve decided that it’s going to be my good luck charm. The weekend after I bloodied it up, I set my new half marathon PR. That’s got to count for something, right?!

So, bloody shoe, you and I are going to get this puppy done. You might get a little more bloody, you might get some pee on you, and you might get some puke on you. But by God, we will get to that finish line.

2 comments:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

That's right, girl! Bloody shoe will carry you through!!

tri2fnsh said...

I love it - what a great viewpoint. And, you're right, it will hurt and you WILL be able to push past that hurt for the thrill of accomplishment. I can't wait to "watch" online!!!